2.7
Ease of Use
Style and Design

Update by user Dec 21, 2017

PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS REVIEW.While I am in the process of having my review removed, I should never have posted it until I gave Adorama Camera enough time to fully respond and reply.

They have and completely set any misunderstandings right and made the situation right. They were very helpful after further explanation and because of that I am requesting my review be deleted.

Adorama went above and beyond to make this right and most companies would never have done that.Adorama just gained a lifelong customer.

Original review posted by user Dec 20, 2017

Recently I decided to sell a few pieces of my photography equipment.As a professional photographer I keep my equipment in excellent condition.

I spoke with Adorama used department about buying a Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 24-70 2.8L USM lens, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro and a Canon 580 EX II flash unit, all in excellent condition. I have it all photographed before selling to be safe. Adorama contacts me via email and tell me it’s $1600 in excellent condition and I “Adorama takes pride in paying up to 70% of our potential.” So, I read this and think, $1600 is fair after speaking with another company. The associate handling my equipment trade was nice, I told him I was looking to replace my iMac that recently went.

I told him I could add $100 if needed since the iMac I was considering was $1699. With $1600 in trade I thought it was fair enough. After a couple of days of trying to find the right computer, the original associate tells me that his manager would be taking care of me. So I called Jack and he tells me that I have “1000 credit I could use towards a new computer”.

I thought, what! The first guy sent me a quote saying $1600. Jack then tries to tell me that ‘no,no,no we pay 70% of that price.’ Now stop and think rationally for a moment...if a company is going to purchase something from someone, wouldn’t it make sense to tell them what they are paying? I did.

I thought the $1600 quote was what they would pay. Not quote $1600 and then the customer then gets only a percentage of that. On top of that, in my entire chain of emails, when I said I would add $100 to the $1600 offer for the $1699 iMac, not once did the associate say “oh, you need more, you don’t get 1600.” He never said anything, clearly further reinforcing what I already thought. When I spoke to Jack the manager he tried to get me to pay another $900 for a computer when I thought we were only a little ways apart from the $1600 because the first guy told me they will give you a little more if you want a trade credit.

So I am thinking I’m already at 1600 and a bit more with trade...then I’m told they are actually only offering $1000...and then he tried the 70% that apparently others have filed complaints about as well. I told Jack that the offer of $1600 was clear and that the line saying “We take pride in paying up to 70 percent of our potentials.’ Never conveyed I was not getting 1600. I assume the 1600 offer was what they paid and then they mark it up 30 percent to make a profit. The whole line is their attempt to give you one price, lure you to send your equipment and then drop the “Oh the price we quoted is not what we pay you but what we say and then pay 70% of that.

On top of that, they were completely unhelpful incoming to any adequate resolution. They are deceitful in their wording and what they should do is give the price of what they pay. Not some made up price they don’t pay.

The only value and amount they listed in their quote is the price they do not pay.They are clearly deceptive and this needs to be made known to warn other potential customers of this scam and protect themselves.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Changed their offer substantially.

Comments